The history of St Lukes Church, Lowton

The history of St Lukes Church, Lowton

Until 1732 there was no church in Lowton or Golborne and worshippers had to manage to travel miles to Winwick Church, one of the oldest parishes in England. The building of a chapel was recommended to serve the townships of Lowton, Golborne and Kenyon in 1650 but it took until 1731 until a "Chapel of Ease" and an attaching school house should be erected with the consent of Peter Legh, Lord of the Manor of Lowton.  Built on land donated by Hugh Stirrup, yeoman of Lowton, the Chapel was consecrated on St Luke's Day, 18th October 1733.

The painting by Mr A. Soper shows the original church before the bell tower was added in the 19th century.

History Index